Monday, February 17, 2014

Stitches and New Potholders

 I picked this Daisy Chain Sampler up about a month or so ago and haven't put it down since! 
 It was thrilling to pick out a variety of perle cotton threads to go with each and every letter.
 Through the process, I have picked up lots of new stitches to include the short and long stitch, lazy daisy, chain, french knots, stem, fly, blanket and satin stitch.  I have added them to my bag of tricks when it comes to embroidery.  So this girl knows more than the simple back stitch now!
 A sampler has taught me to slow down and enjoy each letter.  No rushing allowed.
 Satin stitches are by far the most time consuming,but when they are all done they look mighty pretty!
 Color was what I had in mind with this as I knew that if I stuck to two or three colors I would drive myself batty.  I have the personality that I if I start something, I have to finish it.  Soon!
 With each thread and needle passing through the cotton, I was able to keep my mind off of pending tasks.  Our baby girl is one of the top three;)
 Playing favorites here....
 a cluster of lazy daisies brightened my day.  Does it do it for you?
 Tiny violets crawling up a vine gracefully.
Pink and yellow.  Tickles my soul!


I may have to go pick out some more yummy, new colors of perle cotton;)

First I have to go find myself a frame for this and get it hung up in Jade's room!!!!




On Sunday, I had to make some potholders.  Just because.  You see my old ones are pretty well loved. 



I found a pattern in one of my older 2012 APQ magazines.  It actually reminded very much of the economy blocks that are popping up everywhere these days.  Square in a square block.



Fabrics are Ruby by Bonnie and Camille Roskelley and Alexander Henry and little bits of Kona Red

I decided to simply do without the binding for once and just top stitch the turned edges.  All in all I am very happy with them and they really brighten my kitchen up.

**40 weeks tomorrow or full term to be exact....I have an OB appointment Wed in the afternoon.  Maybe she will choose a date sooner!**

Hugs,

Sara









28 comments:

Jessica said...

I LOVE that stitching! Especially the Q :D

Terri said...

Pretty! I love the daisies and violets too, both favorite flowers in real life.

✾Jamie Lee Cooley✾ said...

Wow your stitched sampler is a-maz-ing!!!!! The Q is gorgeous with all those little flowers. You really inspired me with this project.

MaterialGirlQuilts said...

I have been eyeing these Daisy Chain Samplers for awhile now and really want to do one...someday! Yours is beautiful!!
Amanda

LA Paylor said...

you remind me how much I love hand embroidery. Your whole blog is so sweet.
LeeAnna Paylor
lapaylor.blogspot.com

hydeeannsews said...

that embroidery is SO sweet! very, very pretty.

I keep wondering if your little one is here yet or not. =) soon now!

QuarterMileQuilts said...

Oh wow! This is awesome. This is something on my to do list and I am glad to see you're enjoying it,

Julie said...

This is so amazing! Great work.

Andrea @ Mouse in My Pocket said...

Your embroidery project is gorgeous! I'm so glad you were able to finish it.

Karens Quilts, Crows and Cardinals said...

Oh my goodness Sara your stitching is so very beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing. Saying a prayer for you and the baby. Take care..

AmandaK@whatthebobbin said...

That sample is just gorgeous! I really hope I get over my dislike of hand stiching someday soon.

The potholders are ahhhdorable. Love that apple print. :)

Dee said...

Just figured it out....lol. I was trying to comment on the Instagram pictures of stuff! Oh my goodness I'ma dingbat!

Beautiful sampler. Love your enthusiasm and the pot holders are so cheery!

Paula@TheSassyQuilter said...

In love with your sampler!!! I also have never made myself a pot holder...I should so have some of these in my kitchen! Just a shame that I dont't. Need to fix that:)

Live a Colorful Life said...

Your embroidery is simply amazing. Yes, the daisies in the "Q" definitely do it for me. Thinking of you as your little one is nearly here.

Dawn said...

Its great to do something different once in a while, especially learning new stiches, which by the way, have come up beautifully...congratulations.

Lorna McMahon said...

I am feeling the LOVE! My favourites are the L and the A! Each letter is very pretty - each with it's own personality! Sew nice to see your work in progress... and then finished! Praying all goes well for you and the new babe.

Audrey said...

Beautiful and intricate stitching! Well done!

France Nadeau ❅ inspiration imagination creation said...

Beautiful! My favorite is the "L" with the roses. Kind of old-fashionned, with an English look. I also like the "I" made with a single flower.

Lisa said...

Oh my gosh this is awesome! Where did you get the pattern?
lisamcgriff (at) Hotmail (dot) com

Lindsey said...

Oh my goodness! I love how all your letters came out! I am with you on the colors---the more the better! :) You made it all work! :)

-Lindsey

Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation said...

I love things that have so many interesting elements. Each letter is so unique and you can almost notice something different every time you see it! too cute and colorful!

I'm so glad you shared at Needle and Thread Thursday!

:) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

Cindy said...

I really love your sampler. I believe I read somewhere, that in colonial times, girls would stitch alphabet samplers to learn both the alphabet, and all the embroidery stitches they needed to know. It was also used as a decoration in their homes when they got married.

Jasmine said...

Your embroidery is beautiful. My favorites are the a, i, and z. For some reason I cant view the pot holders on my iPad. Thinking of you and wishing you the best with your new babe. My first came at 41 weeks, but I was induced at 39 weeks with the other two. Waiting is so hard, but hand sewing is so therapeutic.

Quilting Nonnie said...

Your embroidery is wonderful! Especially your satin stitch, that is a difficult one to get right. I just learned how to do right it at Christmas when I was making an advent calendar for my granddaughter. The colors you chose for each letter are so sweet and the whole effect is amazing as a whole. I think I'm going to have to do a piece and learn more stitches like you!

Jessica Hadden said...

I have admired this sampler for awhile now. You did a beautiful job with it!

Dona said...

What beautiful stitches and what patience. Good for you!

Tanya Quilts in CO said...

Isn't embroidering with perle cotton the best? Your sampler is exquisite!

SarahZ said...

I imagine you are a new Mommy by now, but I just had to tell you that sweet colorful sampler makes me want to learn to embroider! Best wishes for your growing family ;)