Friday, February 1, 2013

This girl is Done!!

Not me.............................................................................................................................

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)  ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)  ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)  ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)  ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

After all that winking above I better have something to show for it right?

A girlie,girlie quilt for my 1st commission of 3.  This may be the girliest thing in my house at the moment.  I am surrounded by manly this and testosterone that;)  (There goes that blinking again, I can't help myself)

All of the fabrics were picked out by my client,R.  Didn't she do a wonderful job?  I think so!

A lot of precise cutting to get special decorative pieces like this ruffle above.  Girls have to have a lot of that little extra to accentuate their cuteness though ya know!

About 6 or so blocks I had to go around the quirkiness of the clothing piece and and tricked it by zig zag stitching it onto a 6" piece of Kona.  Viola it worked.  The next two quilts are going to be a little better executed I will say though.  I did have to fray check a few of them to be safe and keep me free of sleepless nights:)

This one has a soft spot in my heart.  Look at that pretty, stunningly done smocking!!!  Did you know that people sew dress quilts like this one?!  Just gorgeous! 



Her daughter loves butterflies, hence the FMQ butterflies all over.  I had a little bit of puckering on the back with the curly antenna parts,but a seam ripper and determined muaw fixed that.  The gal that is doing an embroidered bible verse for this quilt and the other 2 had some thread she let me try out.  It is called Royal and it's 50wt polyester.  For the most part it worked nicely,but there was some areas that it just wasn't having it.  There were little thread nests every once in awhile sneaking up on me which was aggravating to say the least.  The thread lost in the end.  Thread can be a beast sometimes.  I am still looking for that magic thread to come along.

Some of the wavy lines I did showing on the back.  I was going to do the whole quilt in wavy lines,but I felt fewer was better in the long run.  I wanted the blocks to stand out as best as possible.

I tried out a flower design in the borders on 2 sides and these are the results.  Needs practice,but I am pleased with them.

I think the shades of purple worked to our advantage in this quilt and remind me of a summer garden of lilacs.  Smells good to me!

I was also a little hesitant using 2 1/2" binding for this one.  I usually use 2 1/4",but I wanted to
make sure all layers were snug under the binding because I cut the back a little short this time.  It all worked out well though and the mitered corners behaved.

For the next two quilts, I will be using bigger pieces of clothing.  These could have been displayed on a bigger scale,the client and I both feel.  (I am thinking I got a little carried away with trying to capture all the cute bows,ruffles,words and such.)

She is going to come over next week and we are going to play:):)  I also have her interested in learning how to thread her own sewing machine.  She has been hiding that tidbit from me!  hehehe Just kidding R.

One of the bins from one of her boys that we get to cut into.  Exuberant!

These mermaids made me a little exuberant as well!!!!!!!

Thank you with a HUG Pam!  This Sarah Jane print is super soft and a joy to stare at...over and OVER!  Love some SJ!!!!!

And more thread to try out by Mettler.  Also, Kona Putty,Lipstick and Lauren and Jessi Jung's Flora Blue Window print...too sweet for words with the cobwebs in the corners of the windows.

OH and a stack of Scrappy Trip Around the World strip sets to be ironed and cut.

That is what I have going on here on the East Coast.

Be joyful!

Sara

crazymomquilts

Richard and Tanya Quilts 

























10 comments:

Elita@Busy Needle Quilting said...

Wow, Sara, that's some creative work! I've had my share of unusual clothing in quilts but no ruffles yet. Well done with that!

Terriaw said...

What a great feeling to have your first commission project done. So many cute little details. Have fun with the scrappy strip-along. Seems all the rage nowadays!

✾Jamie Lee Cooley✾ said...

Your commissioned quilt looks super sweet. Nthe thread issues seem frustrating but your fmq flowers look perfect! I can't wait to see your scrappy trip--your fabric choices look exciting.

Jessica said...

So cute! I love the fabrics picked out for the quilt, too :)

Penny said...

Wow! That came out great. I love it. I made a quilt of my daughter's baby clothes but nothing quite so creative.

StasaLynn said...

The quilt is adorable. Thanks for your sweet comment and I do hope you come back... I will definitely be back!

Thanks again!

Impera Magna said...

What a darling quilt! I know it will be treasured... all the clothing incorporated into it make it super special!

Unknown said...

That quilt is simply lovely! I don't think I could give it away. I hope one day I will be able to create something like that. Thanks for stopping by my blog today too.

Sarah Craig said...

Such a pretty quilt, Sara! You did a great job with all the little bits and bobs... Whoop whoop!!

And I love those mermaids, too! Made my oldest granddaughter a nightgown out of it this year for Christmas....

Mama Spark said...

Glad the mermaids made it to you! The line is so amazing!!