Thursday, August 12, 2010

Thrifty Finds

I heart thrift stores very much so.  Salvation Army is one Ayden and I hit up every now and then.  He takes care of raiding the toys and I take care of whatever else *WINK, WINK*  Today was a great find of embroidery floss, hoops and embroidery books for me and dinosaurs for Ayden (BIG surprise there, he lives for those guys!)
The hoops were a challenge to get loose from all the ribbon, but after my giddiness wore off from spotting these lucky finds, I got them loose and they WERE MINE.  *Insert squeal!*  The books look to be from the 70's I haven't taken a closer look yet, but there are some cute ideas inside the Singer craft ones and the embroidery books have great tutorials on all different stitches.  So excited to thumb through them some more tomorrow and organize all my thread onto the plastic thread holders.  Lovin' it!!

Well I just couldn't stop there with my "tightwod self" (as my dad would say:).  Then I started scowering the shelves of Joann's red tag bolts and landed some Heidi Grace and Debbie Mumm prints that I had to get a snippet of here and there.  Only about $5 spent there, if that and now maybe I can make a grocery bag holder from the tute by Rachel at P.S. i Quilt over at Moda Bake Shop or possibly a pincushion which I really want to try out making some more of.  Ah, the possibilities.
Well, I stopped dreaming that I would get my embroidery thread to go through the needle if I could just get my fingers to cooperate more AND picked up some good ole' Thread Heaven finally.  I may just be in heaven when I use it too...he, he, he.


So get thrifty folks and see what you can snatch up and share your story with me:) 

Take care,

Sara

2 comments:

Andi said...

Don't you love it when you find something amazing at a thrift store? So far my best finds were two brand new quilt books(one has become my all-time favourite)and last week I found a 100% wool blanket which I am going to do some applique on. Have fun with all of your thrifty finds!

Ariane said...

I love thrift stores. You got some great stuff. It's just so rewarding when you can buy something and not break the bank. Love that!