Thursday, December 2, 2010

One more Christmas present

It is getting too late already to make a quilt for my brother, Brian, but instead I thought I would do it backwards.  So I made the pillowcase, that will match the quilt, that I make for his B-day, next year in August!  This gives me plenty of time for creating something wonderfully masculine with some baseball added to it.  Baseball is his favorite sport to watch:)

The brown polka dots remind me of a baseball diamond if you look at them just right and the blue stripes remind me of the stripes in the guys uniforms for some teams.  I took a little bit of a  baseball novelty print and added that for the trim.

I used the tutorial over at Karamat.  Easy peasey once I realized which way I needed to have the fabric (selvage to selvage had to be on the left and right sides) so I could fold them wrong sides together later on on one side and the bottom.  

There was also another issue when I pulled the trim and main part of the pillow out of the cuff.  The trim was folded with right sides together instead of the other way around.  Seam ripper time:(

Now----- I KNOW how to make a pillowcase!!! (correctly that is)

doesn't Ayden look dreamy?!

I really,honestly haven't touched any quilting  so no new pics and I am sad about that, but other things have tugged on me recently.  Really looking forward to sewing day soon--- I HOPE!!

I did make some yummy, healthy veggie soup though yesterday:)  So a little eye candy if you will.

Carrots, peas, corn, zucchini, a rutabaga, some crushed tomatoes and other seasonings made this dish very good to warm the soul on a cold day;)  The rutabaga was a vegetable I hadn't cooked with ever so that was an add in idea from my friend, Christina.  She is a smart girl because rutabagas are truly a new fave of mine!  I froze about 4 servings yesterday and put a few more leftover servings in the fridge.  I heart soup so much that I could eat it all year!!!  Don't think Ayden would mind either;)


Happy December!

Sara

3 comments:

Terriaw said...

Good idea to make the pillowcase first, which also buys you some time to work on his quilt. Love that trim fabric! Aren't pillowcases fun? I made a set for my hubby recently, which he loves. It's getting colder and colder here lately, so a pot of soup would be wonderful!

Stephany said...

Ayden looks tired, but that pillowcase is just ADORABLE! I have never had rutabagas before so save me a bite! :)

Anonymous said...

That is a lovely pillowcase... your model is too cute, reminds me of my nephew who has beautiful big brown eyes!
The soup looks delicious...so many yummy veggies in it!
(on my way to google rutabaga)