Monday, January 27, 2014

Posies for Our Girlie


As ya'll know I am getting down to the wire with this baby baking thing!  Can you believe I had managed to make everything else for our little girl except a quilt??!!  Well I had one for her room,but the colors didn't agree totally with the violet walls.  

I figured 5 more weeks until due date so why not try to get a good start on her quilt.  Little did I know I would finish this quilt with still 3 weeks to spare before Jade arrives!!  Posy by Aneela Hoey was already planned for her long ago.  I needed a pattern.  First one that came to mind was the lattice design I have seen many times before and knew that I wanted to make one day.  Amy Smart has an excellent one over MBS that took 2 charm packs and 1 yd of sashing fabric. 

One day to cut all the charms from the fat eighths and the Kona purple for sashing.  2nd day I started piecing and by the 3rd day I had a quilt top ready for quilting!  How is that for a speedy pattern.

Wanting to allow the sweet Posy prints to stand out on their own, I did a simple serpentine stitch in Aurifil 50wt Blossom Pink for the quilting.  I worked my way through each of the rows, horizontally and diagonally.  Very nice, easy going quilting.

peach, pink, mint,lilac and deep purple oh my!  I was gushing wildly over them all!

Oh and guess what I used for the backing?!  Cuddle Minky!!!!  So worth every Fuchsia  piece that I had on my belly and all over my cutting table;) Maybe next time I will be brave enough to do some FMQ with this luxurious stuff!! 

Texture is marvelous and this stuff really is like butter.  Literally! Stitches are so well hidden too:)

I figured since the rest of the quilt was a snap,why not do an extra special binding on her. Using this tutorial here, I got to work on a faux piped binding.   I had some minty Mary Engelbreit on hand and some broadcloth in pink leftover from another project that matched beautifully.  This a definite success and I can see myself using this technique again.  The finished look of it blows me away every time I look at this quilt!!!

There you have it!  A Posy quilt for Jade!!!!  There is some batting in the center to stabilize it better.  Otherwise I was afraid there would have been too much drape to it.  I was still torn, I didn't want it to be too warm for her either.  We do have the air conditioner on for quite a span of time in the summer and the house does get chilly.  Also, her room is probably one of the coolest in the house anyway.  So she should be just fine.  Cannot wait to see her cuddled up under it!!!!!!

Since then I have taken up a couple small, "one afternoon to finish" type things.

I was determined to make a coffee cozy for my Ayden's kindergarten teacher in honor of Valentine's Day.  She is an amazing, first year teacher that is so well organized, kind and giving to the kids.  My son ADORES her!  He likes to play this game with her every morning where he sneaks up on her and then says Boo!  Every. morning.  So cute!  The stitched pattern is from feeling stitchy's blog.  

By trying out my new Sulky Paper Solvy, I managed to place the paper over the fabric and stitch it out fairly quickly.  Lots of lazy daisy and french knots stitching scattered around the heart.  Then I used a back stitch sparingly for the arrow.  The solvy was supposed to be easily removed in some lukewarm water.  I had a hard time removing all the little bits,but most of them are gone now.  Numerous water baths later.  Maybe I did something wrong, very frustrating:(  Concept wise it is great!


Chez Moi is on the front and some Kona in Pacific for the back.  
Ayden asked to give it to his teacher and of course I obliged.  Just need one of those ever so popular hearts full of delicious chocolates to go with her cozy!  **I heard that she is an avid coffee drinker so this should be perfect!

Simultaneously, I was working on an appliqued onesie for Jade.  I winged the bunny and added the flannel nose and tail and cotton eye last minute.  It was a joy to create!

I cannot recall what fabric this is as there was no selvage either.  I fused the bunny to some Pellon Wonder Under and then stitched it down to the onesie. For the outline stitch, I did a repeating "x" available on my Janome MC 6500.  Eeeeep!  It. is. going. to. be. so CUTE on her!!!!!

Let's see what else I can get into, in between napping and taking it easy *wink, wink*

****BTW, thank you to everyone that asked about my appointment last week.  It is wonderful to have caring, sweet followers!!****

Hugs!

Sara
























25 comments:

Jenn @ A Quarter Inch from the Edge said...

What a lovely quilt for your little one! I'm jealous of that minkee backing! I've never thought to use it that way!

Dee said...

Wishing I could cozy up under this quilt! Wow! Love the colors...the sentiment behind the Valentine's Day gift and all...that...stitching!

Bunny is toot sweet! 5 weeks! That will go quick!

Jessica said...

Aww! Posy and the color sashing you chose are perfect for that beautiful room. Being a kindergarten aide, that story makes me go "awwww" :)

Vera said...

Pretty and cuddly. Good luck!

Terri said...

Five more weeks?! Aaahh!!! That quilt is going to match to baby room decor so perfectly. The minky on the back is going to be so cozy. Love handmade coffee cozies, which will be a wonderful teacher gift.

Gina Loomis said...

Sara the quilt is beautiful! Congrats on welcoming Jade soon! The cozy for Ayden's teacher is great! The stitching is fantastic!

Alison V. said...

I love your quilt! I made one using that pattern last summer in similar colors to the one in the tutorial. :)

Lauren Deel said...

Jade's Posy quilt is lovely! Great job!

Paulette said...

You are just cranking out the cute, Sara! Pretty soon you'll be cranking out the real cutie! Love that minky backing!

Karen said...

Love!! You are a machine :). I made twin quilts using Posy, just adore those cute prints!

storybeader said...

you've been really busy! Adorable quilt. And such a nice cozie - haven't seen many without velcro!. {:-Deb

Jessica White said...

You've been beyond busy! That quilt looks great! and the coffee cozy is super cute!

Renee said...

Very cute quilt! I'm sure she will love it always! I didn't make a quilt for my daughter until her first birth, and she doesn't use it yet (it's for her big girl bed, once she's out of the crib). But it hang in her room, and she loves it already.

Jessica Hadden said...

Beautiful quilt of posies! Heading over to Feeling Stitchy for that valentine pattern! Thanks, Sara!

Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation said...

This is so beautiful! the colors are so vibrant against that sashing. Love it!

Thanks for linking up to Needle and Thread Thursday!

:) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

Jasmine said...

I love that pop of pink on the binding. It is such a sweet quilt, and perfect for her room... I mean her. ;)

Lucy | Charm About You said...

That's a beautiful quilt! I've done that pattern a couple of times and agree it's quick to put together! Lovely quilt valentine gift and that bunny is adorable!

Anonymous said...

Your bunny onesie is so cute. I also like the soft feel of minkie.

Lindsey said...

Your quilt turned out lovely! The Minky back is perfect and will be so cuddly!

Would love for you to stop by and link this up at Fabric Friday Frenzy Link Party - tomorrow!

-Lindsey

Fabric Friday Frenzy

ratama said...

Perfect! And again, I love violet and purple :-D

Linda from Talkinglunchboxquilts.com said...

I love your baby quilt!! Super cute! You are amazingly productive!! WOW.

Anonymous said...

Simple and elegant. Love the quilt. the colour combination is beautiful.

Leena

Η Πευκοβελόνα said...

I just love tHe colors of tHat quilt! Lovely!

Paula@TheSassyQuilter said...

That is cute,cute,cute! Love the minky.

✾Jamie Lee Cooley✾ said...

You get more done 9 months pregnant than ever! That posy quilt is beautiful...you were sneaky about the reveal...I see it in your previous post of Jade's room in her crib!

I wish I had the courage to try minky. It looks so soft and cuddly!